Full-time Horticultural Technician
Hillen Nursery Ltd. is looking for a motivated team player to join our expanding company. This position involves working directly with our Operations Manager to maintain nursery stock including, but not limited to, vines, evergreens, broadleaf evergreens, deciduous shrubs, perennials, and ornamental trees. We are currently looking for a full-time technician available to work Monday to Friday (Saturday in the spring) for 40 – 55 hours per week.
Responsibilities (Other duties as assigned):
- Assembling orders with an assistant; individuals are to determine the size and quality of product to fill orders. Tag plants with identifying information if needed.
- Pot and re-pot plants using specialized machinery to transplant into larger containers. Physically moving these items to pre-determined areas using machinery when needed.
- Assist in the pruning of trees, shrubs, and plants; equipment will be provided and training if needed.
- Staking using twist ties or a hand tying machine for vines, plants, and trees that require additional support.
- Preparation of cuttings; training to be provided.
- Periodically, the running of our irrigation system may be required; past use of Rain Bird controller boxes considered an asset.
- CSA approved steel-toed safety boots/shoes
- Weather pertinent apparel is necessary but not mandatory
- Personal protective equipment provided when necessary
Work Site Environment:
- Outdoors; expect to be working in all safe weather conditions.
- Exposure to noisy machinery, extreme temperatures, and potential hazards.
- $16.00 – $18.00/hour; to be assessed on a case by case basis with experience.
- Fully subsidized medical, dental and vision benefits available after 12 months of full-time employment.
- RRSP/TFSA matching program. Eligible after 12 months of full-time employment.
- 40 to 55 hours/week, depending on the time of year.
- Hours change periodically during the different seasons but never less than 40 hours per week.
- No education required, experience and qualifications an asset.
Experience and qualifications
- Small equipment operating experience including but not limited to tractors, front-end loaders, golf carts, UTV’s, and a full-size pickup truck.
- Supervision of an assistant; time management and communication.
- WHIMIS Training
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work productively and safely while under time constraints.
We are looking to have qualified candidates start the end of January 2019 full-time.
Please forward resumes to email@example.com
We thank you for your interest; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.